Came back home and vent out all displaced agitation without any specific reason, even completing the minor daily chores seems like a herculean task, spirits have stooped to an all time low level, restlessness has become the inevitable part of routine, the things which would fascinate earlier now no more appeal, the mere idea of socializing with someone forces to search for a veil, thoughts swirling in heart do not take the shape of words, have long forgot what concentration is all about, guilt has enveloped making thick circles, the chocolate truffle cake that was scrumptious thing ever existed under the sun stimulates no appetite, lethargy has settled permanently inside. Long story short, if you have nodded on even half of these aforementioned symptoms, then fret not because that can add to your already amped depression tendencies.
Depression is not something which rings the doorbell and intimates that I am here. It is rather experienced gradually with the passage of a certain time phrase affecting your body, mind and soul. The clinical depression is a serious condition which requires immediate and appropriate medical treatment as its symptoms are quite long lasting.
Each person showcases discrete signs of depression but there prevails some common symptoms to look for:
1. Loss of hope – A void has filled your life leaving no ray of hope. Negative thoughts keep invading your mind. Acute sadness has taken a permanent shelter inside you. You find yourself crying for no obvious reasons.
2. No enthusiasm – You have lost interest in former activities, interests, hobbies, social activities, pastimes or sex. You no more feel the pleasures of life it has to offer. You tend to neglect your responsibilities and physical grooming.
3. Appetite alterations – Either you have begun eating too much or too little. Gain or loss of more than 5 percent of your body weight in one month is one of the warning signs of depression. Some people experience a loss of interest in food, whereas for others food becomes a way of compensating for feelings of depression.
4. Sleep patterns – Insomnia or hypersomnia, waking up early in the morning or unable to getting sleep till late in the night; all these symptoms contribute to the symptoms of depression.
5. Mental problems – Face troubles in focusing, concentrating and making rational decisions. It has become arduous for you to remember the things.
6. Annoyance – You feel agitated, anxious, restless or even violent sometimes. Your tolerance levels have alleviated making you a short-tempered person. Everything and everyone seems to getting on your nerves every time.
7. Reckless behaviour – You are getting engaged in escapist behaviors such as compulsive gambling, reckless driving, dangerous sports or substance abuse.
8. Devoid of energy – You feel sluggish, lethargic, fatigued and physically drained that too even without performing any physical tasks.
9. Self censure – You feel like a scum, good for nothing person. Strong feelings of guilt and worthlessness surround you. You severely criticize yourself as well as indulge in self loathing for trivial faults and mistakes.
10. Physical pains – You experience unreasonable and persistent pains, aches and physical complaints such as headaches, cramps, back pain, aching muscles and stomach ache.
Now that you know you are suffering from depression, try these natural home remedies below:
1. Healthy and happy diet
The first and foremost thing you could do is to nourish your body with a balanced diet. A healthy diet solely is not the key to cure depression but it certainly boosts your mood and renders you with much needed energy to elevate your motivation levels. Never ever skip your meals as they ensure steady blood sugar levels in your body reducing your mood swings. Avoid eating junk food. Consume serotonin enhancer foods such as Fish-oil (rich in Omega-3 fatty acids), Coconut oil (healthy fat), Flaxseed oil, Sour cherries and Eggs as serotonin is a chemical in the brain which makes you happy.
Herbs are effectively being used as the ancient remedies to cure ailments and illnesses, including depression. St. John’s wort is a renowned home remedy for depression. Being a herbaceous shrub, it is being used in treating anxiety disorders. Hypercin present in it makes it effectively combat depression. Saffron is another herb which increases the serotonin levels and other chemicals existing in brain. It is taken as an extract.
Supplements of depression typically consist of a combination of natural chemicals, herbs or vitamins which combat depression. Depression supplements include Omega-3 fatty acids which are found in flaxseed oil, SAMe which is a naturally occurring chemical in the body, 5-HTP which affects serotonin levels and DHEA hormone which the body makes, when unstable can cause havoc on mood.
Being a traditional Chinese medicine, acupuncture works with the energy flow of body. The logic behind acupuncture is it releases energy blockages and restores optimal flow in your body by using precisely placed, tiny needles on specific points. Acupuncture can also help with aches and pains as well as sleeping disorders. When the needle enters your skin at one of the 400 body points used by acupuncturists, your body responds by releasing endorphins. This makes you feel calm, happy and relax lasting till long even after the session.
5. Light therapy
This therapy is particularly beneficial for you if you suffer from seasonal depression, especially winter blues. Light therapy, also known as phototherapy, comprises of exposure to daylight or very bright, full-spectrum light, for a prescribed amount of time, that is, usually for around 20 minutes. Light therapy works to up surge mood by activating the circadian pacemaker of brains which regulates sleep cycles. Since depression is so closely associated with sleep troubles, there is very likely a correlation.
However, if these remedies do not yield desired results and prove to be futile in your case, then you should seek expert’s advice and switch to herbal medication because being natural is the way of life.
Herbal medicines are as old as the evolution of mankind. Unani, being one of the herbal cures, is a primeval medicine practised in the Middle East as well as South Asian countries. Unani is entirely a traditional treatment which heals the body without producing any side effects.
Hakim Suleman Khan is a globally acclaimed, award-winning, licensed herbalist, naturopath and founder of ‘ATIYA HERBS.’ Being a professional health practitioner, published author and dedicated researcher, Hakim Suleman has been striving hard since several years to provide rapid yet permanent relief, better symptoms’ control and root cause elimination to the ailing humanity without any discrimination of age, race, gender or religion.
Hakim Suleman has founded a unique herbal company called “Atiya Herbs” with state-of-the-art research, manufacturing, packing and marketing facilities. Atiya Herbs is widely recognized as a renowned herbal and naturopathic company of India which is being supervised and run by Hakim Suleman Khan himself.