Tumultuous lifestyles have taken a toll on the human bodies these days giving birth to discrete array of problems, being neck pain one of them. No matter how slender your neck looks, it is one of the complex structures of your body comprising skin, esophagus, neck muscles, lymph nodes, arteries, veins, larynx, thyroid gland, parathyroid glands and trachea. The back of the neck constitutes the muscles, ligaments and cervical spine which provide support to it. A thin and long neck does more than elevating your outer beauty; it attaches the spine to the skull allowing the head to turn from side to side.
As they say, however, that nothing lasts forever, it is no different for neck. From bending to lifting and turning to twisting, neck does it all for years succumbing to incessant stress. This is why it is no-brainer that two in three people do experience neck pain at some point in their lives.
Also known as cervical pain in medical terms, neck pain is more often than not caused by inappropriate postures, strained neck, depression, anxiety, physical exertion or recreational activities. Neck arthritis is a common, age related condition which affects the discs and joints in the neck. Mostly, the problem is diagnosed in sexagenarians who have crossed the age of sixty.
Signs and Symptoms of Neck Pain:
· Stiffness and sever pain in neck
· Headache originated from neck
· A crunching noise, jerk or sensation while moving neck
· Inability to fully turn the head or bend the neck
· Shooting pain in the muscles of neck
· A certain numbness or tingling sensation in neck
· Dizziness and blackouts
· Muscle spasms turning head to one side
Causes of Neck Pain:
1. Muscle Strains – Same position of your neck for a long period of time while indulged in activities such as hunching over mobile phone or laptop, reading in bed, slouching on couch or gritting your teeth can cause strain to the muscles of neck. These poor postures are major cause behind neck pain.
2. Nerve Compression – Herniated disks or bone spurs in the vertebrae of your neck can press on the nerves branching out from the spinal cord following by intense neck pain.
3. Worn-out Joints – Similar to the other joints in body, your neck joints are also intended to wear down with growing age. Osteoarthritis causes the cartilage between your bones, that is, vertebrae to deteriorate. Your body then forms bone spurs that affect joint motion causing pain in the neck.
4. Injuries – Rear-end auto collisions often result in whiplash injury, which occurs when the head is jerked backward and then forward, straining the soft tissues of the neck. Collar or upper arm bone fractures cause neck pain as well.
5. Diseases – Ailments, namely, rheumatoid arthritis, degenerative disorders, meningitis, tumor and cancer are potential of causing severe pain to your svelte neck.
Remedies for Neck Pain:
1. Ice cold packs
Cold therapy helps in alleviating the inflammation in the affected area allowing it to heal. Apply ice cubes wrapped in a towel for around 20 minutes several times a day.
2. Heat therapy
Heat helps in bringing flow of nutrient-rich blood to the affected area to stimulate a healing response. Some people prefer moist heat such as hot baths or showers while others find relief by using heating pads or heat wraps.
3. Massage and Exercises
Try gentle stretching which involves neck rolls and shoulder rolls, only when there is no severe pain in the neck. Bend and rotate the neck without putting any strain on it. A mild massage can help you ease out pain.
Albeit, don’t forget that these are only temporary remedies to release pain and can come handy for the time being. Neck pain is a serious condition and should not be neglected thinking it as something trivial because it is a connecting body part between brain and spinal cord. Needless to say how indispensable both of these are to make your body function. Neck pain if ignored can have dire consequences on your health, potential enough of snatching your life away. Medication is absolutely necessary to save yourself and it could get no better if resorted to herbal medication.
S. Care medicine of Atiya herbs, an herbal company founded by the renowned Hakim Suleman Khan, has proved to be the most efficient unani medicine in healing the sore and stiff necks. You can also consult their experts to seek any sort of advice regarding the same who are available 24 hours a day.