Knees serve an important function in the daily movement of a person. Any injury to the parts of the knee can cause pain or swelling leading to painful movement. Daily wear and tear can also lead to knee problem in the long run, if proper care is not taken by the person.
PERSONS VULNERABLE TO KNEE PROBLEM
1. Sports persons
2. Senior citizens
3. People who are suffering from arthritis or rheumatic disease are prone to knee problems
KNEE PROBLEM CAN OCCUR IN FOLLOWING CASES
1. Sudden injury to knee
2. Falling on knee
3. Abnormal Twisting of the knee
THE ACUTE KNEE INJURIES
1. Sprain and strain or any injury to the tendons and ligament which are supporting or connecting the knee cap.
2. Meniscus – this is a tear in the rubber cushions of the knee joints.
3. Ligaments tears – such as anterior cruciate ligament and medial collateral ligament.
4. Fractures –Fractures can be of knee cap, lower portion of the femur, upper part of the tibia or fibula.
5. Knee cap dislocation – can happen in teen girls.
6. Knee joint dislocation – piece of bone or tissue from a fracture or dislocation can come in the joint and interfere with the movements.
7. Bursitis –this is inflammation of the small sacks of fluid which cushions and lubricates the knees.
8. Tendinitis – inflammation of the tendons.
9. Plica syndrome – problem in folding of knee ligaments.
– Pain in front part of the knee due to injury or over weight.
– Inflammation and irritation of the band of fibrous tissue that runs down the outside of the thigh.
10. Osgood schlatter disease – causes pain, swelling and tenderness in the front of the knees.
SYMPTOMS AND CAUSES OF THE KNEE PAIN
The most common symptoms are pain and swelling, plus the following:
2. Severe pain during walking.
3. Pale, white or blue colour of the skin of injured part.
4. When Skin of injured area is broken.
5. Redness of area, red strikes, fever, signs of infection after injury.
SOME GOOD TIPS FOR KNEE CARE
1. Take rest and protect the injured area. Also put a pillow under the knee to give proper rest to the knee.
2. Don’t engage in the activity which causes you pain.
3. Apply ice or ice packs for 30 minutes, thrice a day to reduce swelling or pain.
4. Keep away from hot bath, use of hot packs or any sport activity, movements, which may increase the pain and swelling.
5. After reduction in swelling, apply heat and do gentle exercises.
6. Cover injured area with bandage. It will help to reduce the swelling.
7. The bandage should not be used too tight. Remove or lose the bandage if swelling is occurring in area below the bandage, numbness and pain.
8. Increase the height of the knee with some support above the heart level to minimize swelling.
9. Gently massage the area to increase blood flow.
EXERCISES TO RELIEVE KNEE PAIN
1. Hamstring exercise
– Lie on your back in doorway; keep one leg in the doorway.
– Take other leg to the wall to straighten your knee.
– There will be gentle stretch on the back of the leg , hold this stretch for one minute.
– Gradually increase the time of stretch to 6 minutes for each leg.
– Do not bend knees or back.
– Keep one heel touching the wall and other touching the floor.
– Repeat with other leg.
– Do this set of exercise for other leg also for 2-4 times.
You can also do the same set of exercise with the help of a towel:
– Lie on your back and bend the leg you want to stretch.
– Form loop of the leg and get it from sole of the foot.
– Gently pull the towel toward you and stretch the back of the leg.
– Hold for few seconds, atleast 30 seconds.
– Repeat with other leg.
– Do 2-4 times for each legs
2. Knee to Chest exercise
– Lie on the back on the ground.
– Bring knee to the chest and hold there with hands for 30 seconds.
– Keep other leg flat on the floor or bend , whichever is good for your back.
– Repeat the exercise with other leg.
– Do 2-4 time for each leg.
3. Calf exercises
These exercises stretch the muscle on the back of the lower leg, which is calf.
How to do this exercise:
– Stand against a wall and keep hands on the wall at your eye level.
– Put the leg, you want to stretch, few step behind your other leg.
– Stretch the front knee forward while keeping the heel on the floor.
– There will be a stretch and hold this stretch for 30 seconds.
– Repeat this for 2-4 times.
– Do with other leg also.
Now repeat the exercise with back knee bend a little, still keep your back heel on the floor. Here you will feel stretch on other parts of the calf muscle.
4. Stretching exercises
– Sit on a chair and straight your leg for some seconds.
– Then take it back and rest.
– Do with other leg.
– Repeat 8 to 12 times with each leg.
– Do thrice a day.
– Add a weight to the ankle after some days when doing this exercise becomes easy for you.
GENERAL PRECAUTIONS TO AVOID KNEE PROBLEMS
1. Always use seat belt while driving.
2. Don’t carry heavy objects.
3. Wear knee guard in sports where the injury to knee can occur, such as skating or jumping etc.
4. Do some stretching exercise, before or after any sport activity to warm muscles.
5. Never do any bending which tremendous stress on knees.
6. During heavy exercises like weightlifting use equipments which are according to your age and strength.
7. Avoid those activities in daily life that cause pain or expose your knee area to injuries.
NATURAL REMEDIES FOR EXTERNAL USE
1. Ginger extracts – Ginger when taken in combination with prescribed treatment reduces the pain in arthritis.
– Apply ginger oil on the affected area on the knee, until you see positive results.
– Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate, combination of these two supplements has shown reducing knee pain.
2. Herbal ointment – Salve made of cinnamon, ginger, mastic, and sesame oil have proved effective in knee pains.
3. Use of willow bark – this extract is used to treat swelling, fever and pain.
4. Lemon – use of lemon reduces the pain and swelling.
– Take two or three slices of lemon on cotton cloth.
– Soak cloth with sesame oil and place on the affected knee area for 15 minutes.
– Use daily until pain goes completely
5. Mustard oil – Massage the injured knee area with mustard oil to reduce inflammation, swelling & to improve blood circulation.
6. Epsom salt – Magnesium sulphate in Epsom salt removes excess fluid from the affected knee area thus giving relief from inflammation and pain.
7. Fenugreek seeds – These seeds have antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
– Roast handful of fenugreek seeds and then grind them.
– Make a paste of fenugreek seeds with water and apply on the affect knee part for 30 minutes.
– Rinse with warm water.
– Do this for a week
8. Eucalyptus oil – Pain relieving properties of this oil can give relief from arthritis pain also. Cool sensation of this oil gives tremendous relief.
NATURAL REMEDIES FOR INTERNAL USE
1. Ginger use – Crush small piece of ginger and boll with water, add honey and lemon and drink.
2. Turmeric – This herb can reduce the progression of rheumatoid arthritis.
– Take one half teaspoon of turmeric and ginger powder and boil in water for 10 minutes and then stain and add honey and drink daily.
– Add one half teaspoon of turmeric powder in milk and add honey and take daily.
– Take daily until pain subdues.
3. Fenugreek seed – These seeds have antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
– Soak one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in water overnight and eat in the morning.
DIETARY SUGGESTIONS TO RELIEVE KNEE PAIN
1. Fish – they have omega-3 fatty acids which have anti inflammatory properties. The best sources are salmon, tuna, sardine, herring, cod, and mackerel. You can also take fish oil supplements.
2. Orange juice – one of the best sources of vitamin C. It guards knee osteoarthritis. Other sources are strawberry, peppers, and grape juice or fruit.
3. Onion and spinach – Anti-oxidants found in spinach are good to relieve knee pain. Add onion to salads, sandwiches and prevent knee problems as it contains anti inflammatory properties.
4. Indian food with curry – turmeric is part of Indian curry, has strong anti inflammatory properties. The use of curry with turmeric helps in keeps joints pains at bay.
5. Don’t use refined carbohydrates – Never indulge in white bread, pasta, baked foods as these foods increase weight and cause inflammation.
6. Apple tea and red grapes – also be taken regularly to keep keen pain at bay.
Taken these foods along with precaution mentioned above will always keep you in safe zone, far away from knee issues. Know more about medicines, natural remedies and consultation for knee care from experts.