HEALTH TIPS

Essential Facts You Must Know About Alcohol for Your Health

It would be wrong to call it a fad. Alcohol rather has become the life of every gathering sans which any party would appear lifeless. Though moderate drinking might have some substantial benefits on health but getting wasted every weekend night is not the best thing you can do to your physical and mental being. Moderate alcohol consumption is referred to one drink for women and two drinks for men per day. Exceeding the limit and drinking too much of liquor can be detrimental to your health over time.

Ill effects of alcohol on:

#1 – Brain

brain

Alcohol invades with the communication pathways of brain and disrupts its working. The disruptions alter the mood and behaviour of the people making it harder for them to ponder clearly with concentration.

#2 – Heart

hert

Irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure, drooping and stretching of heart muscle, and stroke are the repercussions too much drinking can have on heart.

#3 – Liver

liver

Getting drunk takes a toll on liver as well. It can result in the liver inflammation, fatty liver, fibrosis, alcoholic hepatitis and cirrhosis.

#4 – Pancreas

pancreas

Alcohol triggers the pancreas to generate toxic substances which consequentially lead to the pancreatitis. There is swelling and inflammation of blood vessels in the pancreas which hinders in digestion process.

#5 – Immune System

Immune System

It is no brainer that consuming alcoholic beverages more than one should exposes the body to greater risk of ailments. Persistent drinkers are more likely to develop diseases like tuberculosis and pneumonia in comparison to non-drinkers.  

How long does alcohol stay in your system?

alcohol

“How much a person drinks” – This needs to be answered prior to raising the question that how long does alcohol stay in your system. A straightforward mechanism is being followed by human body for digesting alcohol. This is why the duration for which liquor stays in your system largely depends on the amount of alcohol you’ve quaffed. Exceeding your fair share of drinks leaves the world around you spinning.

Digestion Procedure of Alcohol

Digestion

Alcohol, apparently, unlike other drugs and foods, requires little to no digestion activity. Once chugged and gone in the stomach, 20% of it moves directly to the blood vessels that carry nutrients and water throughout the body and to the brain. The rest 80% alcoholic content is absorbed by the small intestines and afterwards enters into the bloodstream travelling through the body. 

The whole digestion process of alcohol is slowed down when there’s food in the intestines and stomach, thus elongating the duration for a person to get fully intoxicated.

Post the entry of alcohol in bloodstream, it makes way to the liver to get metabolised. Liver takes approximately one hour to metabolise one ounce of alcohol. For most of the people, one ounce of alcohol produces a .015 blood-alcohol concentration which means that someone with a .015 blood-alcohol level have little to no alcohol in their bloodstream after the passage of 10 hours.

Anyone who consumes liquor faster than the liver can metabolize it begins accumulating alcohol in their blood tissues and body.  

About the author / 

PD